by Dave Davidson, SME tech Community Advisor, email@example.com
Ask about free sample processing
The applications list shown below was compiled by a major OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) of finishing equipment. As you can see by examining some of the commercial applications listed, a lot more goes on in mass finishing than just simple deburring. These applications say as much about the ingenuity of the people who developed them as it does about the versatility of the various processes involved.
WATCH THIS SHORT YOUTUBE VIDEO FIRST:
1. Deburring and radiusing of machined steel components.
2. Deflashing zinc, aluminum or magnesium die castings.
3. Deburring and edge-contour of powdered (sintered) metal parts
4. Deburring of any punched, sheared, or formed (bent) metal
5. Washing oil off of screw machine parts. or dry processing of screw machine parts for oil adsorption, smoothing and polishing especially in high pressure centrifugal machines (to reduce or eliminate effluent from conventional aqueous finishing)
6. Deflashing plastic parts, also radiusing abrasively or producing dry process polishing effects.
7. Pre-plate finishing items such as golf clubs, hand tools, small components, costume jewelry and many other items.
8. Improving surface finish on 3 ft. (900mm) – 4 ft. (1200mm) cermatel coated jet-engine stators from 55 micro-inches Ra to 19 micro-inch Ra
9. Improving surface finish on turbine blades and vane clusters. In sequential multiple processing as low as 5 micro-inch Ra
10. Improving surface finish and polishing surgical instruments and biomedical implants and devices.
11. Polishing brass and copper torch tip components for plasma M.I.B. welding torches.
12. Cleaning/degreasing automotive used alternator and starter housings.
13. Cleaning/degreasing brass power line clamps and aluminum cable terminals.
14. Prepaint finish on reclaimed plastic telephones.
15. Burnishing (polishing) of pewter ware and pewter figurines, jewelry etc.
16. Two-step deburring and cob drying and polishing of kitchen cutlery, pruning shears, industrial/commercial scissors and putty knife blades.
17. Deburring and weld discoloration blending on components used in the manufacture of exercise machines, stair climbers, etc.
18. Degreasing of jumbo jet landing gear (entire brake housing, torque tube case and stator plates)
19. Improve surface finish to under 10 micro-inch Ra on titanium, brass and stainless ball valves from 3 inches (75mm) to 2 feet (600mm in diameter
20. Deburring sintered metal clutch plates, gears and hubs for automotive engines.
21 Degreasing fasteners (nuts, bolts, etc.) used in the assembly of aircraft brakes.
22. Deburring saw cut end mill blanks prior to fluting and sharpening
23. Coloring pure sterling silver grain to casting grade in a part-on-part (no media with special compound)
24. Deburring and blending clear plastic kidney dialysis pump bodies.
25. Smooth and burnish brass, bronze and stainless steel boat propellers (replacing most hand grinding and buffing operations)
26. Deburr and dry stainless steel cooking stove coil supports
27. Deburr and smooth machined cast iron manifolds for C.A.T. tractors.
28. Descale screwdriver blades, worm gears and other parts with heat treat scale
29. Separating floor tile that sticks together, and scrub firing sand from surfaces utilizing a vibratory finishing operation with dry performed media.
30. Burnishing zinc belt buckles.
32. Separating unwanted scrap “knockouts” from fineblanked parts utilizing a vibratory screen separator
33. Burnishing 303 stainless steel food service stainless steel food service ketchup pump cylinders using 5/16 x 3/4 inch angle cut cylinder media in a vibratory process
34. Pre-paint finish of golf balls us using a large and small media combination in a vibratory process. Larger media drives smaller media points into dimpled areas of the part. The method left a much smoother and uniform surface finish than the blasting method which had been utilized previously.
35. Deburr and finish surgical needles 2″ (50mm) to 18″ (450mm) in length utilizing a non-abrasive media in a vibratory finishing machine.
36. Multiple function vibratory process (burnish, degrease, chip removal, and deburring) of brass locking cylinders that are internal parts for keyed locks. Two vibratory machines with
PLC controls were utilized to adjust the wash, rinse, drain and shake out cycles which vary from 30 seconds to an hour or more. Process is a part-on-part method with alkaline cleaning liquids
37. Deflashing of plastic circuit breaker components. Process used steel media in a continuous flow-through vibratory finishing machine, and was able to process 3000 parts per hour on a continuous basis.
If you have a question, or would like to add an application you are familiar with include your ame, date and application(s) in the form below . If you are familiar with these kinds of applications, do you have a TOP TEN list? What processes produced the most dramatic improvement or solved the most vexing problem? Generic information only please, avoid trade names and commercialized jargon. Thanks.